This bread has an amazing open texture for rye bread because I mix equal parts of rye flour with organic wheat flour. I am a victim of the tiredness that gluten brings…but turning to the organic variety totally solves my problems…turns out a lot of us are in fact sensitive to the extra chemicals added in the flour making process and not the gluten (Obviously this is not always the case though, especially in coeliac cases). The added chilli gives the bread such a pop…so moist and airy and DELICIOUS!
Preparation time: 3 hours (including proofing and baking time)
Ingredients (Makes 2 medium sized loafs):
- 500g Zucchini/ courgettes (chop of the ends)
- 200g Baby carrots (tops trimmed of)
- 1 1/2tbsp Salt
- 350g Organic plain flour
- 350g Rye flour
- 3 tsp Dried active yeast
- 1 1/2 tbsp Maple syrup
- 1 tsp Chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- Place the courgettes in a blender (or grate by hand) until they are finely chopped/grated and are mushy and watery
- Finely grate/blend the carrots separately to the courgettes until they are a similar consistency
- Mix the courgettes, carrots, salt,maple syrup, rye and plain flour, chilli flakes and yeast until all the ingredients are incorporated by the courgette water released. Some courgettes are more watery than others, so if dry add tbsp of water at a time, but if the dough is too wet do not add more flour.
- Turn the wet sticky dough onto a floured surface and kneed for 7 minutes, until the dough becomes firmer and less sticky. Test the bread by pinching and pulling the dough away, which should result in a stretchy tough that does not tear away…if this is not happen, continue kneading
- Place the dough in a floured bowl and cover with cling film and let it rise in a warm area for 2 hours
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees celsius
- Punch the dough with your fist a few times (great after a stressful day)
- Split the dough in half and create two sausage loaf shapes
- Place in a baking tray, brush with olive oil and bake for 35 minutes
- Enjoy my Little Peas!
One thought on “Aussie Zucchini and Carrot Rye Bread”
How delicious! I bet it would taste wonderful with mashed avocado or hummus with veggies or crushed red pepper on top!