These sweet potatoes are like jacket potatoes on steroids! Prior to this recipe, the only way I could consume a sweet potato was deep fried…but these badboys have changed my mind! They are really simple to make and require no attention at all in the oven which is very convenient for a weeknight meal! If you are looking for an accompniment for them then braised butterbeans go really well!
Preparation time: 1 hour 45 minutes
Ingredients (Serves 2):
- 2 large Sweet Potatoes
- 3 cloves of Garlic (finely chopped)
- 3 Green Birdseye Chillies (finely chopped)
- 1 Spring Onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 4 tbsp Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius (or 200 if it is not a fan oven)
- Wash the potatoes well and prick their skin a few times using a fork (they can be shallow but it prevents a sweet potato explosion in the oven)
- Bake the potatoes for 1 hour at 180 degrees celsius
- After an hour remove the potatoes from the oven and create a slit along the length of the potato
- Find something heavy to now smash your potatoes with (I used a small sauce pan but a potato ricer could also work) until the potatoes open up
- Sprinkle the potatoes with the garlic, chillie, spring onions and salt, and then drizzle with the olive oil
- Bake the potatoes for a further 30 minutes at 180 degrees celsius
- Enjoy my Little Peas!
3 thoughts on “Smashed Garlic Sweet Potatoes”
I used to only microwave sweet potatoes, but roasting them in the oven TOTALLY converted me to an oven-lover. Now I can’t even live without roasted sweet potatoes!
Oo I have never tried them in the microwave apart from when making brownies…I will have to give that a go too 💗😃
Sameena, these look incredible! I eat sweet potatoes almost daily – excited to try such a delicious sounding flavor combination. I’ve gotten lazy lately and have simply been roasting…still delicious of course, but this looks incredible!!
LikeLiked by 1 person